Sunday, April 17, 2011

Taoism Blog on the Tao of Pooh

     I read and analyzed the Tao of Pooh last semester for my oral final exam in Professor Rasnic’s World Scripture class.  I grew up reading the Winnie the Pooh books and watching the cartoon shows and movies, so I of course enjoyed this book as well.  Plus, I thought that it was very clever that Benjamin Hoff was able to parallel its characters and story morals to those of the Taoist religion.  Like how the main character Winnie-the-Pooh is described as being "the very Epitome of the Uncarved Block" (11).  The Uncarved Block, or P’u, is explained as being "things in their original simplicity containing their own natural power, power that is easily spoiled and lost when that simplicity is changed" (10).  Pooh is very childlike and relies on instinct and simple thought to get him through life day to day, whereas in culture today there is an emphasis on growing up and learning new skills to get a good, well-paying job so that we can be successful in life, which may not be the path we want to take, let alone what our lives should be like or what fate has had in store for us.  The book made it easier and more entertaining to learn about another religion and it explained it pretty thoroughly I thought.  

     I really found the part about the "Bisy Backson" to be enlightening and a bit of a wakeup call where Hoff says that "Our Bisy Backson religions, sciences, and business ethics have tried their hardest to convince us that there is a Great Reward waiting for us somewhere, and that what we have to do is spend our lives working like lunatics to catch up with it" (97).  I can relate to and understand the concept of the "Bisy Backson" where we all force ourselves to into doing work at a pretty fast pace because of the American culture and how we are all in competition with each other for a reward we may not feel fulfills us after all the hard work.  I feel that way in college sometimes; like that I'm doing all this work for a piece of paper that's not going to guarantee me a job in the future anyway, and that no matter how many classes I take or credits I earn I still feel like I've accomplished nothing and that sometimes I'm just wasting my time.
     I believe that Taoism could be a "solution" to the "problem" of American culture.  We all need to slow down and smell the roses every now and then and not run ourselves into an early grave by working ourselves to the bone and stretching our minds farther than they can probably go.  We're always on the hunt to keep ourselves busy because it is looked down upon to be 'lazy' or take time to ourselves to just relax and read for fun or just sit outside under a tree feeling the breeze and smelling the aroma of nature.  Well that last part may get you called a hippie, but it's all the same.  I just recently found out that I need a break because I feel like I've been driving myself crazy with all the school, work, and various hobbies I get caught up in that I forget about the little things sometimes.  Like while I'm walking I'll stop to watch a squirrel scuttle up a tree or the birds digging in the ground because it makes me feel more peaceful and relaxed.  And honestly with the constant go go go and hostility and anger from this fast paced life, American culture needs some relaxation time to just chill out and be one with the Tao.

6 comments:

  1. I liked your mention on how Americans are looking to keep busy because doing otherwise is considered lazy, I completely agree. This seems to be a major issue in American, people in Europe take a fair amount of vacations and enjoy their lives whereas we don't, were always worried and we just need to slow down

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that pooh does take things as they come and tries to find a natural solution to things, the way a taoist would.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Overall I liked your post, I agree that if we take our time to 'smell the roses' that others in our culture will see us as lazy. i personally feel that our culture is unable to just chill out because of the laziness stamp that we'll get (of course there are other things too), so as wonderful as I think it would be to take on the Taoist mentality, i just don't think we would allow ourselves.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't think that Americans would be perceived as lazy but rather unproductive. We are so used to having busy schedules and as a kid, we are always encouraged to always be more involved in the community. Lazy and unproductive are similar but not the same. Lazy means to me, that you have things to do and don't want to do them. Whereas, unproductive means that you are not doing anything and have nothing to do and are not looking for anything to do. If that makes sense...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with Marsha and her post. However, I have another way to maybe view Americans. Some say unproductive and lazy, which is true of a lot of people, but I feel like a lot of society is also overproductive if that makes any sense. I know, at least for me, I try to complete and strive for some much that when to much is on my plate at once, I completely shut down and get none of it done. So maybe that can be classified as lazy or unproductive, but maybe so much is expected out of someone; maybe you were put under that much pressure last week and completed it; and now you feel as if you cannot measure up to yourself in the previous week so you shut down. I do agree with you too though! I was just thinking of another interesting way to view it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree with the idea of taosim being the "solution" to America's "problem". As a culture, we are so trained to fill our days with noise and and time schedules, that we forget to appreciate the things around us; the calmness. I really liked how he created a parallel between pooh and taoism. It made it easier, at least for me, to understand.

    ReplyDelete